Monday, March 23, 2009

Endangered Species






I'm here as an advocate for a very important issue within this country...

It's something that has been a problem for a while but not until now has it hit me so hard. I am here to speak to attempt to help keep an endangered species from dying out.. The species in which I speak of has many names: Keisha, Tanisha, Shameeka.. and the list goes on. These are all specific names of black girls who once knew how do braid hair.... excuse me as I'm getting a bit emotional... When I was growing up, it was a normal thing in many Black communities for the average girl from age 8 and up to know how to do hair, specifically cornrows. Nowadays, for some reason or another trying to find a black girl who knows how to do hair and does NOT work in a damn salon is virtually impossible! A few days ago, all I wanted was a friend to do something cool with my hair that I used to have done back when I paid to get my hair done but NOOO.. nobody knows how to do it. All I wanted was someone do cornrow my locks... is that too much to ask?!?! As I continue to refuse to pay to get my hair done, I will go on a journey to find a last of a dying breed..... an endangered species.... A BLACK GIRL WHO CAN CORNROW!!!!!.... and we're off!

2 comments:

  1. lol Naim just said to me yesterday that I need to learn how to cornrow...for the record I can but just not very well haha...so no, I will not braid your hair...we're still buds though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yo man..so true! what the hell is up with our black females? change the names..but keep the braid skillz {laughing}...

    ReplyDelete