Thursday, August 6, 2009

This or That Thursday: Illmatic vs. Reasonable Doubt



Ok.. I wanted to try something new, partially to give me a reason to consistently maintain my blog posts and partially just for fun. So now every Thursday will be "This or That Thursdays" and I will try my hardest to come up with things, people, artists, songs, teams etc. that are comparable and debatable.. So, heres my first shot at it.. let me know what you think...

Which classic hip hop album is better overall? Nas's "Illmatic" or Jay-Z's "Reasonable Doubt".. Both LPs are the debut albums and arguably the best work from each legendary artist. We all have taken part in the Jay-Z vs. Nas debates as far as their individual talents and careers, but lets compare each of their masterpieces..

This one is honestly really tough for me because both men went really hard lyrically all throughout the albums. I am able to listen to both CDs straight through without having to turn any songs but I have noticed that I really have to be in a particular mood to want to listen to each. "Illmatic" is basically the epitome of what raw early 90's rap was all about in New York. His lyrical prowess made him stand out at a time when lyrical talent was appreciate, much unlike today. Although I can listen to the album all the way through and enjoy it, its hard street feel makes me only want to listen to it when I'm in a certain "raw hip hop" mood. "Reasonable Doubt" has a couple songs that are a little lighter in content but still embody the rawness of New York rap during that time. A number of the tracks have such a mellow feel to them that they make me feel good whenever I hear them.. (particularly "Feelin' It"). With all that said, I still can't say that one is better than the other but I must say that it's a good ass barbershop discussion... too bad I haven't gotten my hair cut in nearly a decade... peace out folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment